San Diego Tax Lawyer Warns About Top Tax Scams of 2016
It can feel scary to put your information out into the world, even when you it’s on an IRS form. And when it comes to your taxes, there are scams out there that want to trick you in order to steal your money. According to the Internal Revenue Service Commissioner John Koskinen stated, “We are working hard to protect taxpayers from identity theft and other scams this filing season. We urge taxpayers to help protect themselves from scams – old and new.” San Diego tax lawyer, Tax Tiger, really wants to make sure you avoid these scams like the plague so we’ve taken 6 big ones that are coming around that the IRS is specifically warning you about.
- “Promoters of frivolous schemes encourage taxpayers to make unreasonable and outlandish claims even though they are wrong and have been repeatedly thrown out of court.”
- “Don’t invent income to erroneously qualify for tax credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit. Taxpayers are sometimes talked into doing this by scam artists.”
- “Taxpayers should also avoid misuse of the research credit. Improper claims generally involve failures to participate in or substantiate qualified research activities and/or satisfy the requirements related to qualified research expenses.”
- “Taxpayers should avoid the temptation of falsely inflating deductions or expenses on their returns to underpay what they owe or possibly receive larger refunds.”
- “Be on guard against groups masquerading as charitable organizations. Contributors should take a few extra minutes to ensure their hard-earned money goes to legitimate and currently eligible charities.”
- “Be wary of anyone who asks taxpayers to sign a blank return, promises a big refund before looking at their records or charges fees based on a percentage of the refund.”
Tax lawyer in San Diego, Tax Tiger, is giving you the heads up now about these juvenile scams in hopes that you won’t fall into one of their schemes. But if you do, you aren’t alone. Be sure to get help from tax resolution services in San Diego in case you get stuck and don’t know what to do. A professional will be sure to make you feel at ease during this stressful time and resolve many of the tax issues you are being faced with.
Latest posts by Tax Tiger (see all)
- Minneapolis Tax Attorney on What to Do About Costly Tax Bill - April 19, 2016
- Sacramento Tax Attorney Found 5 Great Tax Refund Uses - April 19, 2016
- IRS Tax Lawyers Say Follow 3 Steps When Tax Planning - April 19, 2016