96% Average Client Savings
Home » Tax Relief Blog

Expats May Lose Passports Says Sacramento Tax Attorney

Submitted by Tax Tiger on Tue, 12/22/2015 - 7:40 pm

Starting January 1, 2016, there may be a situation that involves U.S. expatriates to get their passports taken away from them. The advocacy group, American Citizens Abroad, is urging congress to not do this because of the disastrous consequences it may cause all due to the highway funding bill. While this hasn’t gone into affect yet, if you are an immigrant, it might be in your best interest to contact a tax attorney in Sacramento to assess your situation.passport


Still figuring it out

Both the house and the senate have yet to come to terms on an agreement for the highway funding bill, but both agree on the federal government having the ability to not provide and/or take away a passport away of an immigrant residing in the United States if they owe $50,000 in federal taxes.

The Senate Finance Committee believes wholeheartedly that this provision could raise up to $398 million over a 10 year period.


The message

The American Citizens Abroad took the time to write a letter to the congressional leaders hoping that congress could not act on this provision and instead find new ways to solve the tax issues that expatriates may face. Their letter, written by executive director Marylouise Serrano, read:

“This provision creates a tax collection mechanism that is frankly far too draconian. This approach puts disproportionate pressure on the taxpayer and risks mistakes and unforeseeable consequences, which would be life changing for the individual. It discriminates against Americans abroad who, unlike Americans living in the U.S., are overwhelmingly reliant upon their U.S. passports in their everyday lives.”


With this new provision possibly on the edge of being passed, seeking professional help from a Sacramento tax attorney could help you if you are facing these tax issues. Tax Tiger, a Tax attorney in Sacramento, is proud of being able to resolve taxes with the Internal Revenue Service and bring prices down. If you owe more than $50,000 in taxes to the IRS, contact a tax lawyer in Sacramento to analyze your situation and see if your tax bill can be brought down.