Moving Tax Tips from San Diego Tax Lawyer
Sometimes our work means so much to us that we will move away from our present nest just to be closer to it. If you have been considering a job change that is farther away from you, then you may have the opportunity to deduct the costs of your move! And because moving is alone already very overwhelming, just know that there is a San Diego tax lawyer that can help you sort through your moving tax concerns.
Are you sure you are eligible?
In order to make sure you are eligible, follow these simple guidelines:
- Make sure to get the work lined up and ready for you before you move.
- Once you’ve started your new job, you have a year for moving expenses to apply to your tax credit.
- No – you can’t just move into the house next door. You actually have to put some distance between you and your previous commute. In fact, the distance from your new home to your new job must be at least 50-miles further than what your old home to your old job was.
- If you are married, you only need to worry about the distance from home to work for one person’s job.
- After starting your new job and moving, you have to spend some time stationed at this job. You must be working full time at the new job location for at least 39 weeks during your first year. Self-employer’s follow a different guideline – they must work for 78 weeks within 2 years.
Some expenses you can deduct are:
- Professional moving company services
- Do-it-yourself-moving trucks
- Gas and oil
- Packing supplies (tape, boxes, etc.)
- Move insurance
- Moving help (in case you pay someone for help)
- 30 days of storage after being moved.
- Don’t even think about deducting your meals on the road while you travel. They do not count.
Confused? Get the answers!
Moving isn’t easy – but no one expects it to be. Instead of being troubled with tedious work that comes with moving, hiring a tax lawyer in San Diego can be of great help. If you are confused about what to put on your taxes after moving and want to save money, Tax Tiger provides tax resolution services in San Diego.
Latest posts by Tax Tiger (see all)
- Minneapolis Tax Attorney on What to Do About Costly Tax Bill - April 19, 2016
- Sacramento Tax Attorney Found 5 Great Tax Refund Uses - April 19, 2016
- IRS Tax Lawyers Say Follow 3 Steps When Tax Planning - April 19, 2016